Nitrofix Laboratories is the oldest private bio-fertilizer laboratory in West Bengal. It was established in 1977 by a group of eminent scientists to promote eco-friendly agriculture through research and development of bio-fertilizers through biological nitrogen fixation. With a mission to make agriculture sustainable for the farmers, the laboratory produces and distributes highest quality bio-fertilizer for agriculture, sericulture and forestry sector in the state of West Bengal. Since its inception, the laboratory has relentlessly pursued research work to isolate location specific bacterial strains with highest nitrogen fixation capability. The different facets of its resources can be summarized as below:
- R & D Infrastructural Resources
- Production & Marketing facility
- Soil Testing
- Training and awareness building activity
- Academic activities
- Execute agri-based projects
Dr. Mrinal Kanti Basu
Academic Qualification :
Ph. D. from Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan
- Visva-Bharati (U.G.C. Research Fellow) – 1970-1975
- Jute Technological Research Laboratories (Co-Investigator of J. M. D. C. Project on “Upgradation of low quality Baarky Jute.”) – 1976-1996
- Visva Bharati, Santiniketan. (Member, Executive Council)– 1992-1994
- Nitrofix Laboratories (Scientific Advisor) – 1977 – 1997
- Nitrofix Laboratories (Partner) – 1998 till date
- West Bengal Forest Development Corpn. Govt. of West Bengal (Member, Board of Directors) – 1996-2006
- The Asiatic Society (Life Member) – 1997 till date
- Sundarban Development Board, Govt. of West Bengal (Member) – 2007-2010
- The W.B. State Council of Biotechnology, Govt. of West Bengal (Member, Governing Body)– 2011 till date
Details of Research and Development activities :
- Development of microbial technology for upgrading of Jute fiber quality.
- Biological nitrogen fixation.
- Extraction of fiber from non –conventional sources.
- Utilization of agro-waste by biotechnological method.
Honours and Awards :
- National Award from Nation Research Development Corporation in 1985.
- International Award (Gold Medal) from World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) – a constituent body of United Nations in 1986. Utilization agro-waste by biotechnological method.
Dissemination Activities :
- Took a leading role to disseminate the concept of Eco-friendly agriculture among the farming community using Bio-fertilisers as one of the major inputs.
- Use of Fungal culture for up gradation of low quality barky jute was also popularized for the benefit of poor farmers.
- Developed a pilot plant unit in the premises of Nitrofix Laboratories to produce limited amount of Biofertilisers for the use of field demonstration during dissemination programme.